Sourdough Banana Muffins
How to make Sourdough Banana Muffins
* 1 1/4 cups (150 g) all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 3 large ripe bananas about 1 and 1/2 cups mashed
* 6 Tablespoons (85g) unsalted butter, melted
* ⅔ cup (135g) packed light or dark brown sugar
* 1 large egg at room temperature
* 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
* 60 g (generous ¼ cup) sourdough discard
Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or use cupcake liners.
Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Mash the bananas. Whisk in the melted butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract.
Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, then whisk until combined. Do not overmix. I stop mixing just as the last of the dry ingredients are stirred in. If adding nuts or chocolate chips, stir them in now. Batter will be thick.
Spoon the batter into liners or greased muffin tin, filling them all the way to the top. Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Bake for an additional 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan, then transfer to a cooling rack to continue cooling.